Jewish event at Labour conference abandoned after bomb scare
A fringe event at the Labour party conference hosted by the Jewish Voice for Labour group was abandoned because of a bomb threat on Tuesday evening, organisers have said.
The building hosting the event in Liverpool’s Georgian Quarter was evacuated after a phone call from a man specifically mentioning Jews and saying that two devices would cause mass casualties.
“About 7.15pm, they called,” said organiser Naomi Wimborne-Idrissi. “We had started showing the film shortly before 7pm. The girl (on reception) answered and he said: ‘Is there a Jewish event going on?’
“He said: ‘It is a big Jewish event and I want to tell you that there are two bombs that will kill many people in the building.’” Wimborne-Idrissi said the man then abruptly put down the phone.
She said police arrived and “combed the building” before deciding that, while no bomb had been found, the film screening could not go ahead. Other groups holding events at the property, Blackburne House, also had to leave, including a pilates class and a group of trainee teachers.
Wimborne-Idrissi said events hosted by the group were often disrupted, and it had hired security staff to protect Tuesday’s session.
Merseyside police told the Liverpool Echo: “We can confirm officers attended Blackburne Place in Liverpool city centre this evening following a malicious call.
“A report was received shortly after 7.20pm that the call had been made and staff at the building evacuated the premises as a precaution. Officers then attended and provided advice and reassurance at the scene and are treating the call as a hoax. The organisers have cancelled the event and closed the building.”